- TMN State Guidelines: In order to attain certification, a Texas Master Naturalist trainee must complete a minimum of 40 volunteer service hours (and 8 hours of advanced training) within one year of the initial training series. In order to retain the title of Texas Master Naturalist, a volunteer must complete another 40 volunteer service hours (and 8 hours of advanced training) in every subsequent year.
- Volunteer work must be of a type that furthers the TMN mission statement: To provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within our communities. This mission includes educating the public on natural resources, but it also includes managing, maintaining, and improving the environment for the benefit of wildlife and the public.
- Volunteer work must be performed as a Texas Master Naturalist rather than as a member of another organization.
- Volunteers who belong to two organizations that both require volunteer service as part of membership (e.g., TMN and Master Gardeners) may not count the same work hours twice, getting credit from both organizations.
- Volunteer work that results in a profit to another organization cannot be approved:
- Volunteers may not count volunteer work for a for-profit organization.
- Volunteers may not count work for a nonprofit organization that results in the o organization earning money for its own programs.
- Volunteer work in approved Chapter fund-raising efforts can be counted.
- Paid work of any kind cannot be counted for Volunteer credit.
- Volunteer hours credit is earned for time spent preparing a volunteer presentation as well as for making the actual presentation. Travel time to and from any volunteer project activity earns volunteer credit (does not apply to attending advanced training activities).
- All chapter board members, committee chairmen, and committee members will receive hour-for-hour credit for volunteer hours spent fulfilling those duties (including travel time).
Please visit the VMS Approved Opportunities for a complete list VMS Opportunities. A cross reference of the old activities to the new Opportunities can be found Partner-Opportunity-cross-reference2.
Please record all of your volunteer service hours on the Hours database.