Certification Field Trip Sites Directions to commonly taken field trip sites are given below. These are only the directions in case you want to find these places again.
Please note that:
- These are the directions only - actual dates, times and additional instructions for each field trip will be given on a class by class basis.
- Not all of these places are open to the public and others only on certain days or at certain times.
- Only some of these will be used as field trips for any specific calendar year.
Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area
For electronic directions to the LLELA gate, search for E. Jones St., Lewisville, TX. There is no direct entrance from any major street. Note that LLELA has no facilities other than three Porta Potties and is only open to the public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- From the North or East
- Travel South on Sam Rayburn Tollway
- Take TX-121 BUS S exit (if you hit I-35, you went too far)
Drive approximately 4 miles and turn right onto E Main St at the stoplight.
There is a QT convenience and gas store here. A good place to take a last minute pit stop for yourself.
Follow E. Main for approximately 1/2 mile to where it bends right after the railroad tracks
and then left onto Church Street.
Continue on E. Church Street approximately 1/3 mile
Turn right onto N. Kealy Ave
- Drive 1.2 miles until road makes a hard left.
- The LLELA gate will be on your right. Park on the side of the road until your guide arrives.
- From I-35E
- Exit on Valley Ridge (Exit #453, about one mile north of Business 121 in Lewisville).
- Go east to the stop-light at Mill Street.
- Turn north (left) on Mill Street and drive to Jones Street.
- Turn east (right) on Jones Street and proceed until Jones Street ends at the LLELA front gate, at the junction of E. Jones Street and N. Kealy Avenue
- Park on the side of the road until your guide arrives.
Manasserri Ranch [By appointment only]
- Take Central Expressway (Hwy 75) to Exit 43 (Weston Road/FM 543)
- Go 3.5 miles West
- House is on the South side and the property is enclosed with a white pipeline fence. A sign out front says 'Roland Farm'.
- Take Texas Highway 175 out of southeast Dallas towards Kaufman, Texas. You can access 175 from I-45 or I-635.
- Go past Seagoville and look for the Combine exit - FM 13189
- Turn south and drive about two miles.
- Turn left on Martin Road and look for the center on your right. There are several small signs that will assist you plus it is fairly visible.
- To reach the Cotton Gin restaurant in Crandall, continue southeast on 175 to Crandall - about 4 miles - and take the FM 148 exit. The access road will take directly to the Cotton Gin.
Clymer Meadow [By appointment only]
Clymer Meadow is a preserve of the Nature Conservancy and is generally closed to the public. It is located on a 'hill' 15 miles northwest of Greenville and is one of the last and largest remnants of the once extensive Texas Blackland Prairie.
- Go east on US 280 to Farmersville
- Turn North on SH 78 towards Blue Ridge
- Turn east on FM 981
- When you come to FM 1562, continue straight ahead (FM 981 turns north at this point)
- Turn north on CR 1140 and go about 1/4 of a mile
- The gate will be on your left and marked.
Parkhill Prairie is located in the north eastern corner of Collin County.
- Take SH 78 north towards Blue Ridge
- Turn east at CR825
- When 825 begins to turn south, take CR 668 east
- Go about two miles to the gate on the left or north side
The Blackland Prairie Raptor Center is about 67 acres on what used to be Brockdale Park but has been permanently leased from the Army Corps of Engineers for use by the Raptor Center.
Address:1625 Brockdale Park Road, Lucas, Texas. Brockdale Park
Cross streets: Lucas Road (FM 3286) & Brockdale Park Road.
- Take U.S. 75 to Allen, exit Bethany Road.
- Go east 6.1 miles (Bethany becomes Lucas Road).
- After a sharp bend to the right there will be a light at FM 3286.
- Turn left at the light and go east on FM 3286 approximately 0.6 miles.
- Turn right on to Brockdale Park Road and go approximately 1 mile.
- Brockdale Park and the BPRC is on the left through the gates while the road takes a hard right.